Premier League managers pay tribute to Sir Bobby Charlton
Manchester City have hunted down and banned two young fans who mocked the death of Manchester United hero Sir Bobby Charlton at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday. Charlton died in the early hours of Saturday morning at the age of 86, with his family announcing later in the day that he had “passed peacefully”. But some City fans then sang “offensive chants” during half time of their team’s Premier League clash with Brighton moments after the news had broken.
City vowed to review CCTV footage and hand down strict punishments to the individuals identified. And the club released a statement on Wednesday afternoon that read: Manchester City can confirm that two minors have been identified in connection with the vile chanting heard at the Etihad Stadium during half time of last weekend’s fixture against Brighton & Hove Albion.
“The individuals in question have subsequently been suspended from attending all home and away fixtures and their details have been shared with Greater Manchester Police who are investigating the matter.
“Following the conclusion of Greater Manchester Police’s ongoing investigation, the individuals will be subject to the club’s official sanctions and bans process.”
Read more… Antonio risks angering boss by calling team-mate perfect Salah replacement
City had already released a statement the day after the incident as they said: “Manchester City FC are extremely disappointed to have learned of reports of offensive chanting from a small number of individuals about Sir Bobby Charlton in some of the concourses of Etihad Stadium during half time of yesterday’s Premier League fixture against Brighton and Hove Albion.
“The club condemns these chants in the strongest terms and apologises unreservedly to the family and friends of Sir Bobby, and to all those at Manchester United.
“On this day of all days, when the stadium stood to pay tribute to our own legend in Francis Lee, Manchester City supporters should understand and appreciate as keenly as anyone the need for respect in our game.
- Advert-free experience without interruptions.
- Rocket-fast speedy loading pages.
- Exclusive & Unlimited access to all our content.
Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag left red-faced by Harry Maguire comments[COMMENT]
Agbonlahor savages Man Utd naming only two players in combined Aston Villa XI[QUOTES]
Erling Haaland fires Man Utd timely reminder as Man City beat Young Boys[REACTION]
“Our security team are studying CCTV footage of the concourse areas. We are thankful to those who have already come forward to report this matter. We continue to appeal for any information that can help us identify the individuals involved so that we can take the appropriate action to issue banning orders.”
And the Premier League also condemned the chanting as they said: “The Premier League is appalled to hear reports of chanting related to Sir Bobby Charlton at yesterday’s game at Etihad Stadium. We welcome Manchester City seeking information on those responsible and will support any subsequent action.”
Source: Read Full Article