Zverev, last year’s runner-up, back in Open semis

NEW YORK — Olympic gold medalist Alexander Zverev has made it back to the US Open semifinals a year after finishing as the runner-up at the hard-court Grand Slam tournament.

The 24-year-old from Germany saved a set point in the opener and wound up beating unseeded Lloyd Harris 7-6 (6), 6-3, 6-4 at Arthur Ashe Stadium on Wednesday.

The No. 4-seeded Zverev will take a 16-match winning streak into his match against either No. 1 Novak Djokovic, who is bidding for a calendar-year Grand Slam, or No. 6 Matteo Berrettini. Their quarterfinal, a rematch of the Wimbledon final won by Djokovic in July, was scheduled for Wednesday night.

“I am going to watch it, like everybody else, I guess,” Zverev said. “I hope it goes for 8 hours and 30 minutes.”

In the quarterfinals on Wednesday, Harris broke to lead 5-3 in the first set and served for the set but got broken. Then in the tiebreaker, he held a set point at 6-5 but missed a forehand and dropped the next two points, too, to cede the set.

Zverev then took leads of 3-0 in the second set and 4-0 in the third.

“Somehow managed to win that first set,” Zverev said. “Loosened me up a little bit.”

The 46th-ranked Harris, a 24-year-old from South Africa, had eliminated three seeded opponents — No. 7 Denis Shapovalov, No. 22 Reilly Opelka and No. 25 Karen Khachanov — to reach his first Grand Slam quarterfinal.

Zverev lost to Dominic Thiem in a fifth-set tiebreaker in last year’s championship match at Flushing Meadows after taking the first two sets. Shortly after the final, Zverev was accused by a former girlfriend of domestic abuse, allegations he repeatedly has denied.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source: Read Full Article