Rafael Nadal hobbles from medical centre on crutches following ankle surgery after announcing he will miss the ATP Finals in London
- Rafael Nadal pulled out of the ATP Finals in London because of a knee injury
- He has since undergone an operation on his ankle and has left medical centre
- Novak Djokovic replaced him as World No 1 after coming second in Paris Masters
Rafael Nadal has left hospital following surgery on his ankle, which ruled him out of the ATP Finals in London.
The Spaniard was pictured with his right foot bandaged upon leaving the Mapfre Clinic of Tennis Medicine in Barcelona on Wednesday hours after being operated on the ankle.
Nadal, now world No 2 after losing the top ranking spot to Novak Djokovic on Sunday following the Serb’s defeat in the Paris Masters final, was escorted out of the medical centre and into the passenger seat of a car.
Rafael Nadal leaves the Mapfre Clinic of Tennis Medicine in Barcelona on Wednesday
The Spaniard’s foot was heavily bandaged after the player underwent surgery hours earlier
The World No 2, hobbling on crutches, was escorted the passenger seat of a car
Nadal pulled out of the Paris Masters with an abdominal injury and after failing to recover in time, and subsequently withdrew from this week’s event.
In a post on his official Facebook page, Nadal said: ‘It has been a complicated year, very good at the tennis level when I was able to play, and at the same time very bad as far as injuries are concerned.
‘I have done everything possible to reach the end of the season in good condition, both in Paris and London, doing things well and I really wanted to play.
‘Unfortunately, I had the abdominal problem in Paris last week and, in addition, I have a free body in the ankle joint that has to be removed in the operating room today.
‘It is true that we had detected it for a long time and from time to time it bothered me. However, since the problem in the abdominal muscle also prevents me from playing in London, we take advantage of the moment to remove the free body and avoid future problems.
‘In this way I hope to be in full condition for the next season.’
Nadal pulled out of the ATP Finals in London this week with an ‘abdominal problem’
The Spaniard pulled out of the Paris Masters with an abdominal injury and has failed to recover
Nadal’s withdrawal in Paris allowed Novak Djokovic to replace him at the top of the world rankings. He will be replaced in the tournament by world No 10 John Isner.
The 11-time French Open champion has qualified for the season-ending competition in 14 consecutive years since 2005 but has now withdrawn or retired in seven of those.
When Nadal withdrew in Paris he said that it was a new injury and not directly related to the knee issues that have forced him to the sidelines since early September.
‘The last few days I start to feel a little bit the abdominal, especially when I was serving,’ he said.
‘And I was checking with the doctor and the doctor recommended to not play, because if I continue the abdominal maybe can break and can be a major thing, and I really don’t want that.
‘It has been a tough year for me since that moment in terms of injuries so I want to avoid drastic things. It would not be fair and not good for me and for nobody to go inside the court knowing that probably the full tournament will not be possible to play.’
Nadal has qualified for the ATP Finals in 14 consecutive years but withdrew or retired in seven
Source: Read Full Article