Redmond volley sees Saints come back from the dead against Burnley

Southampton 3-2 Burnley: Saints come back from the dead on Easter Sunday as Nathan Redmond’s volley puts them ahead after early Chris Wood and Matej Vydra strikes had given the Clarets a two-goal lead

  • The visitors took the lead through Chris Wood’s penalty following a VAR review
  • Matej Vydra’s superb strike put Burnley 2-0 up before Stuart Armstrong’s reply  
  • Danny Ings then capitalised on Ben Mee’s hesitation to race clear and equalise 
  • Nathan Redmond then completed the Saints comeback with a fierce volley
  • Latest Premier League news, including fixtures and results
  • Premier League table – as it stands 

‘Keep playing, keep playing’ Nick Pope bellowed with 15 minutes to go, his encouragement to his Burnley teammates echoing around the empty St Mary’s.

Few would have complained if both sides had done just that well beyond the time that remained such was the entertainment they served up at St Mary’s.

Not many may have had this one, a meeting between the teams who started 14th and 15th and had survival on the agenda, down to be a cracker.

Nathan Redmond’s excellent volley completed a brilliant Southampton comeback at St Mary’s

The win takes the hosts up to 36 points to virtually ensure survival for the South Coast side

Yet that is exactly what it was.

Five goals, four of them brilliantly taken, a thrilling comeback from 2-0 down, a sprinkle of VAR controversy and especially big contributions from both sides’ No.9s and their goalkeepers.

In the end it was Southampton who edged it, claiming the three points which took them to the brink of safety.

It could just as easily have been Burnley. It could just as easily have finished level.

Hasenhuttl said: ‘To turn it around when two down against this team, not a lot manage this.

‘It was an important step against an opponent on the same level of you. Now we have three points more than them. It was a six pointer and we took it.’


Southampton (4-4-2): Forster 8; Walker-Peters 6.5, Bednarek 6, Vestergaard 6, Bertrand 6; Armstrong 7.5 (Salisu 79 6), Ward-Prowse 6, Diallo 6, Walcott 6 (Djenepo 87 6); Ings 8.5 (Adams 86 6.5), Redmond 7.5. 

Subs not used: McCarthy, Stephens, Minamino, Tella, Ferry, Jankewitz.

Goals: Armstrong 31, Ings 42, Redmond 66

Yellow: None

Red: None

Manager: Ralph Hasenhuttl 6

Burnley (4-4-2): Pope 8; Lowton 7, Tarkowski 7.5, Mee 7.5, Pieters 6.5 (Taylor 33 7); Gudmundsson 5.5 (Richardson 90 6), Westwood 7, Brownhill 7, McNeil 7.5; Vydra 7 (Rodriguez 78 6), Wood 7.5. 

Subs not used: Peacock-Farrell, Cork, Stephens, Nartey, Dunne, Driscoll-Glennon

Goals: Wood 12 pen, Vydra 28 

Yellow: None

Red: None

Manager: Sean Dyche 6

Referee: Andre Marriner 7

Southampton climbed up to 13th, 10 points clear of the drop zone, and should now have another Premier League season to look forward to along with their FA Cup semi-final against Leicester in a fortnight.

Though, for half an hour or so, it appeared they would end the day still looking over their shoulder.

Both teams returned to Premier League action after the international break refreshed and went for it resulting in a wonderfully open game.

Chris Wood tested Fraser Forster for the first time inside 40 seconds and after 12 minutes Burnley, who carried a real threat every time they raided forward, went ahead.

Chris Wood put the hosts ahead from the spot following a VAR review by Andre Marriner

The penalty was given after Saints right back Kyle Walker-Peters had fouled Erik Pieters

Matej Vydra is congratulated by Dwight McNeil after his brilliant half-volley made it 2-0

But Southampton hit back almost immediately through Stuart Armstrong’s first-time strike

Southampton looked to have escaped when referee Andre Marriner allowed play to carry on after Kyle Walker-Peters slid in on Erik Pieters after he crossed.

In this VAR age, though, nothing should be missed and Marriner pointed to the spot after being urged to review the incident.

Southampton had grounds for appeal themselves with Walker-Peters appearing to be pulled back by Pieters before the Burnley left-back got to the byline.

Wood left the debating to others and smashed the spot kick straight down the middle, scoring for the third successive game.

Burnley then doubled their lead just before the half hour, Matej Vydra brilliantly thumping past Forster after Wood added an assist to his goal by nodding Ben Mee’s clearance to his strike partner.

Despite being 2-0 down Southampton, boosted and bolstered by the returns of fit-again Danny Ings, Theo Walcott and availability of captain James Ward-Prowse after the calf injury that forced him out of England’s final World Cup qualifier against Poland, had their moments.

Burnley repelled those that came in their box repeatedly in their trademark, bodies on the line fashion.

But twice the impressive Ings drew Clarets skipper Ben Mee out of that comfort zone with his movement and Southampton goals followed.

Danny Ings equalised in clinical fashion as he chopped inside James Tarkowski and slid home

Ings got the winner in the reverse fixture and made it three goals in three against his old clu

James Ward-Prowse then struck the bar as both sides went in search of a winning goal

On the first occasion, Mee followed him out of the box and Ings’s clever flick around the corner helped Ward-Prowse’s ball onto Stuart Armstrong who provided a brilliant first-time finish.

On the second, Ings beat Mee in a race down the right and showed brilliant composure to cut inside the sliding James Tarkowski before slipping the ball through Nick Pope’s legs.

‘I’m so happy to have him back fit and on the pitch,’ Hasenhuttl said of his star man Ings who had been out for a month.

The striker transfer market looks set to be a busy one and, with one year left on his contract in the summer, here was a reminder, why Ings – linked with Manchester City during the international break – could feature in it too.

Not only did he catch the eye with his goal and assist but his all-round display and work rate.

Nick Pope’s second-half resistance was broken when Redmond steered home with aplomb

Fraser Forster then pulled off two great saves late on as the hosts held on for a massive win

Attack remained Southampton’s best form of defence after the break and Ings continued to be a central figure, setting up Ward-Prowse to crash an effort off the bar, having a header nodded off the line and then his shot spectacularly saved by Pope.

Defiant Pope also denied Armstrong twice and Walcott before his save from Ings but could only keep Southampton at bay for so long.

Following his save from Ings, Walcott clipped the loose ball to Redmond who was waiting at the back post to volley in what proved to be Southampton’s winner.

If that sounds simple from the man who inspired Southampton into the FA Cup semi-finals with two quarter-final goals against Bournemouth it wasn’t.

Redmond’s technique to keep his volley down and beat the two Burnley defenders between him and the goal was exceptional.

Pope’s earlier heroics were then matched by Forster, who flung himself full length to tip Wood’s curler wide and then stayed big to deny the New Zealander from point-blank range, Burnley’s striker getting an effort in despite having his shirt pulled by Jan Bednarek.

Dyche said: ‘I’m a big fan of VAR but they’re the ones you do scratch your head at. Ryan Bertrand [also] pulls out of a header and the ball hits his hand that wasn’t even looked at so go figure.’

He added: ‘We had a lot of control in the first half an hour then flat-lined for 15 minutes. You cannot do that in the Premier League.

‘Without being disrespectful to Southampton, we presented them with a chance to win the game and were a little bit naive.’

Below details how all the action unfolded with Sportsmail’s Alex Bowmer.

Host commentator

Southampton hold on for a priceless win after mounting a brilliant comeback. They’re now on 36 points, which is pretty much all they need for survival with eight games left as they leapfrog Wolves into 13th. 

Burnley remain on 33 points and will be looking over their shoulder with Newcastle and Fulham to play later.

Sean Dyche’s men took a 2-0 lead in the first half through Chris Wood and Matej Vydra, but Stuart Armstrong’s quick reply and Danny Ings’ clinical finish drew the Saints level at the break before Nathan Redmond completed the turnaround with an excellent volley. 

Stay with Sportsmail’s coverage this afternoon as Newcastle play Tottenham next, before Aston Villa entertain Fulham and Manchester United host Brighton. 

What a miss! Southampton spring a counterattack and Che Adams finds himself clear. The 24-year-old takes his time and sizes up Nick Pope – but slots it just wide of the keeper’s right-hand post. 

At least three minutes of stoppage time will be added on. 

Johann Berg Gudmundsson has been replaced by 18-year-old forward Lewis Richardson. 

Theo Walcott has been replaced by Southampton and, barring any concussions, that’s it for the hosts in terms of subs. 

Danny Ings feels he is caught by Matthew Lowton and is pretty irritated that play continued. Ings is now off anyway, with Scotland striker Che Adams on in his place.

Big chance. Dwight McNeil’s cross bounces in the box and after Jay Rodriguez swings his boot at it, the ball is met by the stretching Chris Wood, whose header from six yards is cleared by Fraser Forster. 

Wood had his shirt tugged slightly by Jan Bednarek, but nothing doing.

Mohammed Salisu replaces Stuart Armstrong. 

Jay Rodriguez is on for goalscorer Matej Vydra. 

Dwight McNeil’s high, hanging cross sees Johann Berg Gudmundsson jump above Kyle Walker-Peters, but the Iceland international doesn’t time his leap correctly.

A minute later though, Chris Wood finds himself in space and curls towards Fraser Forster’s top left-hand corner, but the keeper claws it away. The corner comes to nothing. 

Ashley Westwood’s awkward corner is caught by Fraser Forster and Theo Walcott is released on the counter. He has both Stuart Armstrong and Nathan Redmond for company but dawdles and the chance is lost. 

The comeback is complete! Theo Walcott drives through the middle and gives it to Danny Ings, who works some space before a fierce drive that Nick Pope does well to claw away.

However, he only diverts the ball to Walcott inside the box on the right and the 31-year-old slings across a cross for Nathan Redmond to excellently slam home a volley. 

Kyle Walker-Peters’ cross finds Theo Walcott, but he can only fire straight at Nick Pope on the turn. 

Nick Pope makes a superb save from a Stuart Armstrong shot that was deflected twice. Excellent from the visiting stopper. 

Off the bar! The ball is worked back to James Ward-Prowse after Burnley looked to have absorbed Southampton pressure and the Saints captain rattles the woodwork with a fierce drive, with Danny Ings then having a header cleared off the line. 

He appeals for a goal, but the goalline technology is having none of it. 

Dwight McNeil feeds Chris Wood in the box, but the goalscorer cannot quite sort his feet out and the danger is snuffed out. 

Jan Bednarek then goes off after coming up for a header above Wood and crashing to the ground, but the Pole soon returns to the field. 

Charlie Taylor’s one-two with Dwight McNeil releases the left back in an attacking area, but the former Leeds man’s fierce cross cannot be diverted goalwards by Chris Wood. 

Matej Vydra is apologetic to his team-mates after fouling Ryan Bertrand in Southampton territory.

However, the Czech then wins a throw by one of the Saints’ corner flags. The hosts get it away though and counterattack, with James Ward-Prowse’s attempted slide-rule pass to Theo Walcott cut out by Charlie Taylor. 

We’re back underway!

An engrossing first half comes to a close. Burnley must have thought they were on course for a big three penalties when Chris Wood and Matej Vydra put them 2-0 ahead, with Vydra scoring the winner in a 2-1 victory at St Mary’s last season.

However, Stuart Armstrong issued a quick reply and Danny Ings capitalised on a rare Ben Mee error of judgement to draw the hosts level. All to play for!

Ibrahima Diallo sees a shot headed over for a corner. James Ward-Prowse’s curling delivery is uncomfortable for Nick Pope, but the England gathers. 

Pope’s long kick forward is then headed down by Chris Wood to Matej Vydra in the style of Burnley’s second, by Jannik Vestergaard closes down the space for the Czech. 

There are four minutes of added time. 

The hosts are level! Ben Mee fatally hesitates to cut out a ball down the right-hand channel by Nathan Redmond and the looming Danny Ings capitalises.

He still has a lot to do though and does brilliantly, driving into the area, chopping inside the sliding James Tarkowski and slotting past Nick Pope. That’s Ings’ third goal against his former club in as many games. 

Southampton have had nine attempts to Burnley’s three, but it’s Sean Dyche’s men who lead with a little more than five minutes of normal time remaining in the first half. 

Erik Pieters is unable to continue and has been replaced by Charlie Taylor. 

Southampton are back in it! The hosts start knocking the ball about on the edge of Burnley’s box. James Ward-Prowse is at the heart of it, with the captain eventually finding Danny Ings, who plays a cute pass on the spin for Stuart Armstrong to fire home a first-time shot from 20 yards. 

Nick Pope will feel he could have done better, as the shot was fairly central. Game on!

Burnley double their advantage! Ashley Westwood smashes a ball foward. It’s cleared by Southampton, but only as far as Ben Mee, who hits a long ball of his own for Chris Wood to head down to Matej Vydra, who volleys home emphatically from inside the box. No chance for Fraser Forster. 

Erik Pieters looks in serious pain after being caught by team-mate James Tarkowski as the pair throw themselves in the way to block Theo Walcott’s shot. Pieters went off, but is now back on.

Southampton apply some pressure and Nathan Redmond’s shot from range is blocked. The former Birmingham winger then spins away from a Burnley defence and draws a save from Nick Pope, who puts it behind. Burnley eventually clear their lines from the corner. 

Chris Wood plants the ball on the spot. James Ward-Prowse has a word with the referee as Fraser Forster walks up to the spot to put the New Zealander off. Ryan Bertrand almost looks to put Wood off, but he makes no mistake. 1-0!

Andre Marriner has been called over and the right back looks in trouble. He definitely brought Erik Pieters to ground after the Dutchman had put in a cross. Penalty given!

Dwight McNeil crosses in and Matej Vydra puts behind. Moments later, Burnley appeal for a penalty after Kyle Walker-Peters brings down Erik Pieters. VAR is checking it. 

Matej Vydra is fouled by Ibrahima Diallo. Dwight McNeil’s ball for Ben Mee is cleared, but Theo Walcott is brought down. 

Danny Ings has his first strike of the afternoon, but his effort is blocked by a combination of Burnley bodies. 

Burnley win a free kick, but Dwight McNeil’s crossfield ball drifts out of play. 

Burnley have an early chance as they counterattack as Chris Wood pokes up the ball goalwards and Fraser Forster palms behind before flicking away the resulting corner, with Southampton then embarking on an attack of their own. Lively start. 

Andre Marriner gets us off and running. 

Southampton (4-4-2): Forster; Walker-Peters, Bednarek, Vestergaard, Bertrand; Armstrong, Ward-Prowse, Diallo, Walcott; Ings, Redmond. Subs: McCarthy, Stephens, Adams, Djenepo, Minamino, Salisu, Tella, Ferry, Jankewitz.

Burnley (4-4-2): Pope; Lowton, Tarkowski, Mee, Pieters; Gudmundsson, Westwood, Brownhill, McNeil; Vydra, Wood. Subs: Subs: Peacock-Farrell, Taylor, Cork, Stephens, Rodriguez, Nartey, Dunne, Richardson, Driscoll-Glennon.


Both sides are locked on 33 points, with Southampton sitting one place above Burnley in 14th.

Neither team should be overly concerned, with 18th-placed Fulham on 26 points having played a game more, but given some of the unexpected results this season, nothing can be taken for granted. 

Ings’ return has come at just the right time for the Saints, with the England striker back after a three-game absence due to a muscle problem picked up in the win over Sheffield United last month. 

The 28-year-old has eight league strikes to his name in 22 appearances, one of which came at Turf Moor, when he netted the only goal of the game after five minutes.

Ings also scored against his former club in the corresponding fixture last season – although Burnley won on that occasion. Ralph Hasenhuttl will be hoping his main man can find his shooting boots today. 

Burnley are unchanged from the side that impressively beat Everton 2-1 at Goodison Park last time out. 

Burnley (4-4-2): Pope; Lowton, Tarkowski, Mee, Pieters; Gudmundsson, Westwood, Brownhill, McNeil; Vydra, Wood. Subs: Peacock-Farrell, Taylor, Cork, Stephens, Rodriguez, Nartey, Dunne, Richardson, Driscoll-Glennon.

The Saints make two changes from the team that comfortably beat Bournemouth 3-0 in the FA Cup before the international break, with Theo Walcott and Danny Ings coming in and Moussa Djenepo and recent Scotland call-up Che Adams dropping to the bench.

Southampton (4-4-2): Forster; Walker-Peters, Bednarek, Vestergaard, Bertrand; Armstrong, Ward-Prowse, Diallo, Walcott; Ings, Redmond. Subs: McCarthy, Stephens, Adams, Djenepo, Minamino, Salisu, Tella, Ferry, Jankewitz.

…and welcome to Sportsmail’s coverage of this afternoon’s crucial game in the bottom half between Southampton and Burnley. Team news coming right up. 

Source: Read Full Article