Sebastian Vettel: NO regrets over troubled final season at Ferrari

Sebastian Vettel ‘at peace’ and insists he has NO regrets with troubled final season at Ferrari after he was replaced by Carlos Sainz… but four-time world champion says there will be no less pressure at new team Aston Martin

  • Sebastian Vettel was outperformed by team-mate Charles Leclerc last season
  • German was told before the end of the season his deal would not be renewed
  • Vettel admitted pressure and expectation he put on himself would not change
  • He was speaking at the presentation of Aston Martin’s first F1 car in 60 years

Sebastian Vettel has insisted he is at peace with his Ferrari exit after a disappointing final season with the Italian constructor.

The four-time world champion – now at Aston Martin – was informed before the end of the 2020 season that his contract would not be renewed, with McLaren’s Carlos Sainz Jr coming in to replace him for this campaign.

Vettel was consistently outperformed by Ferrari team-mate Charles Leclerc, scoring 33 points to Leclerc’s 98, and was outqualified 13 times to four, with just one podium at the Turkish GP.

Sebastian Vettel suffered a sorry season at Ferrari last year and his contract was not renewed

The four-time champion was consistently outperformed by team-mate Charles Leclerc (left)

But at the presentation of his new team’s first F1 car in 60 years, the Aston Martin AMR21, the German admitted he had no regrets over the troubled season last year.

He told the Autosport website: ‘In all honesty, the whole year was a challenge. I’ve thought about this a lot at the time last year.

‘I’m obviously not happy with how last year went in terms of performance, entirely my performance, but I accepted [it] and I don’t have any regrets.

‘I know it hasn’t been to my standards that I mostly hold myself [to]. I’ve never really cared what people think or say or write. So that’s why it’s important I’m at peace with that myself. 

The German will drive for Aston Martin this season alongside Canadian Lance Stroll (left)

Vettel’s comments came at the presentation of Aston Martin’s first F1 car for 60 years (above)

‘I’m very much looking forward to this year, and having very, very high expectations. I put a lot of pressure and expectation on myself, so in that regard, nothing changes.’ 

Silverstone-based outfit Aston Martin will enter F1 from this season after rebranding from Racing Point, with Vettel driving alongside Canadian Lance Stroll, son of part-owner Lawrence.

The 2021 campaign is due to start later this month, with the Bahrain Grand Prix set for March 28. 




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article