The verdict: Glen Boss suffers concussion after fall at Eagle Farm

There was significant fall out from Saturday’s Shoot Out Quality, with Ballistic Boy’s summer grand final now hanging by a thread and champion jockey Glen Boss taken to hospital with concussion.

Boss’ wife Sloane joined him in hospital, where he remained overnight for observation.

Boss was physically ill after falling from Morton’s Fork and being heavily concussed following the running of the race.

It followed earlier drama for Boss, when his plane was delayed from Melbourne and he missed his first ride. The fall also meant he missed the winning Buffering ride on Soxagon.

Glen Boss missed the winning ride on Soxagon after falling off Morton’s Fork in the Shoot Out Quality at Eagle Farm. Picture: Trackside PhotographySource:The Courier-Mail

Boss’ fall followed the pre-race scratching of Ballistic Boy, who inexplicably got his head down in the starting gates and had to be released by attendants.

Jockey Matt McGillivray said the incident happened without warning. Ballistic Boy simply dropped down and was stuck for a few moments until his stall was able to be opened.

He was declared a scratching and stewards told trainer Chris Anderson the gelding would have to jump out of the barriers before being cleared to start. Chief steward Peter Chadwick told Anderson “we have obligations to riders”.

Anderson was hoping to send Ballistic Boy straight to this Saturday’s Wave (1800m), in a bid to have him fit for the Magic Millions Subzero (2400m) a week later, but now needs to have a jumpout to be cleared to start.

The drama continued after the race when it emerged winning trainer Archie Alexander claimed to be blindsided by the race’s conditions, which now exclude European-bred horses from earning a wildcard to Magic Millions day, making Barade ineligible to run on January 16.

Ballistic Boy was scratched after getting his head down in the barriers.Source:The Courier-Mail


Steele Ryan wasn’t perturbed when Bobby El-Issa was called up to replace Ryan Maloney on Snow Valley in the opener at Eagle Farm.

Ryan trained the mare’s dam Deer Valley for a good chunk of her career and El-Issa was successful on her for him in December 2010, where she beat Burdekin Blues and Temple Of Boom.

“It was obviously meant to be,” Ryan said.

The jockey was jolly on the spot for the late pick-ups on Saturday, also being called up for Soxagon after Boss was sidelined.

Snow Valley was bred by Segenhoe Stud, who bought other partners in the mare out last June when she went through the Magic Millions National Sale.

The knocked down price of $45,000 seems extraordinarily good value, given she’s by Snitzel from a Group 3 winning Lonhro mare. Saturday’s city win only added to her value.

Bobby El-Issa rode Snow Valley to victory in the opener at Eagle Farm. Picture: Trackside PhotographySource:The Courier-Mail


Maloney had to relinquish four rides on Saturday, including the winning mount on Snow Valley, after failing to make the 55.5kg imposts.

Two of the four were for premier trainer Tony Gollan, who he rides Isotope for at 54.5kg in the Magic Millions Guineas in a fortnight. Maloney said he made the wrong call riding at Ipswich on Friday, where he fulfilled engagements at 55.5kg.

Gollan, who had to find new riders for Starosa and Socialising, accepted the jockey’s explanation and was sporting a big smile after the pair combined to win with Macewen.

“I told him I will wrestle him to get the weight off,” Gollan joked.

Stewards fined Maloney $600 for his failure to make the weights.


Trainers farewelled long-serving barmaid Colleen Hargreaves after three decades of service on Saturday. Colleen has been a fixture at Eagle Farm for the past 27 years and for a number of those, has been behind the Owners and Trainers Bar.

“She has been brilliant over many years,” Rob Heathcote said.

Brian Smith presented Hargreaves with a gift on behalf of the trainers.

“It’s been a pleasure. I’ve loved it,” Colleen said.

Trainers Barry Lockwood and Brian Smith were on hand to farewell Colleen Hargreaves at Eagle Farm. Picture: Trackside PhotographySource:The Courier-Mail


Premier rider Baylee Nothdurft has enjoyed his time away from racing and is now almost ready to return to the fold.

Nothdurft opted to take time away from racing to give his body a rest and refresh mentally after the daily rigours of wasting to make light weights took its toll.

“I was able to spend Christmas with the family, which I haven’t been able to do for a few years, which was great,” Nothdurft said. “I feel fresh and ready to get back into it now.”

Nothdurft has been pleasantly surprised at how his weight hasn’t ballooned out of control during his break, meaning there’s less kilos to shed as he builds for a comeback.

“I thought I would get to near 70kg. But I was 62.5kg (Saturday) morning,” he said.

Everything is pretty good. I’m looking at coming back after Magic Millions, restart, ride work for a couple of months and then probably start at the provincials.

“I will get my weight down slowly and hopefully it will stay down.”

Originally published asBoss cops heavy knock in eventful Shoot Out

Source: Read Full Article