Oleksandr Usyk’s team are ‘optimistic’ his heavyweight clash against Anthony Joshua will be finalised in DAYS in blow to Dillian Whyte and Andy Ruiz Jr’s chances of getting another crack at the world champion
- Anthony Joshua is considering his options after Tyson Fury fight fell through
- Dillian Whyte and Andy Ruiz Jr both offered to step in for Fury and face Joshua
- AJ however has been ordered by the WBO to fight his mandatory Oleksandr Usyk
- The Ukrainian’s team have claimed the fight will be a done deal within days
Oleksandr Usyk’s team are ‘optimistic’ his heavyweight showdown with Anthony Joshua will be finalised in a matter of days.
The news will come as a huge blow to Dillian Whyte and Andy Ruiz Jr, who both threw their name in the hat to face the unified champion next after his proposed £100million undisputed fight with Tyson Fury collapsed.
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn revealed earlier this week that Whyte and Ruiz Jr were under consideration despite the WBO ordering him to fight their mandatory challenger Usyk next.
Anthony Joshua will fight Oleksandr Usyk next with a deal set to be completed in just days
Usyk’s team claim there are ‘no obstacles’ to prevent their man from challenging Joshua
The two teams were given a deadline of May 31 to begin negotiations before the fight would be decided via purse bids, but Uysk’s promoter revealed they are already in talks and are close to reaching an agreement.
‘We are in the middle of negotiations now and things look optimistic,’ Usyk’s promoter Alexander Krassyuk told Sky Sports.
‘As long as I am informed there are no visible obstacles to the deal not to take place, hopefully, it will be completed within the rendered timing.’
Joshua’s fight against former cruiserweight king Usyk is expected to take place in the UK around August time, with Wembley touted as one of the options to host it.
The news comes as a blow for Andy Ruiz Jr (right), who wanted a third fight with Joshua
Dillian Whyte also said he would skip his mandatory shot at Tyson Fury to face Joshua next
AJ, who holds the WBA, WBO and IBF world heavyweight titles, was supposed to be fighting Fury in Saudi Arabia in early autumn but their Battle of Britain fell through after Deontay Wilder won his legal case at arbitration to get a trilogy fight with the Gypsy King.
Hearn admitted this week Joshua is desperate to become the first undisputed heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis in the early 2000s but his ‘hands are now tied’ due to his mandatory obligations.
‘The fight with Usyk is most likely for us,’ Hearn told Behind The Gloves. ‘We are talking to other people, as well, about other fights.
‘The aim is to be undisputed. All AJ has done is to box off mandatory fights to keep the belt. How much longer does he have to do that?
Fury, meanwhile, is preparing to fight Deontay Wilder for a third time after AJ fight collapsed
‘You never get the freedom to do what you want. In an ideal world we’d like to do what Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez has done – have three fights in six months.
‘But it’s about defending the belts. He wants to become undisputed.
‘He doesn’t want to lose the belts but his hands are always tied.’
WBC champion Fury, meanwhile, is preparing to face Wilder for a third time with their clash set for July 24 in Las Vegas.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article