Holyfield, 58, brutally floored in the first round by Belfort

Evander Holyfield, 58, is brutally floored in the first round by Vitor Belfort as ‘disgraceful’ comeback fight is slammed as ‘one of the saddest events in boxing’… but he still wants to fight Mike Tyson

  • Evander Holyfield was stopped in the first round by Vitor Belfort on Saturday 
  • The ex-heavyweight champion, 58, made his comeback in the ring in Hollywood
  • Fans slammed the fight as a ‘disgrace’ and one of the ‘saddest events in boxing’ 
  • But Holyfield said it was stopped too early and still wants to fight Mike Tyson 

Evander Holyfield’s comeback against Vitor Belfort has been branded a ‘disgrace’ and ‘one of the saddest events in boxing’ after the 58-year-old was brutally stopped in the first round.

Holyfield, who turns 59 next month, had stepped in as a late replacement for Oscar De La Hoya, 48, who pulled out of facing Belfort, 44, with coronavirus.

The former heavyweight champion had not fought since 2001 and had been refused to licence by the California State Athletic Commission, meaning the fight was moved to Hollywood, Florida. 

Evander Holyfield’s comeback against Vitor Belfort has been branded a ‘disgrace’ and ‘one of the saddest events in boxing’

The 58-year-old was stopped in the first round after being floored by the Brazilian 

But Holyfield’s return was over before it really began. He slipped early on and nearly fell out of the ring before Belfort knocked him down with a left hand jab.

Holyfield beat the count but the Brazilian continued to let the punches fly, forcing the referee to step in and end the fight with 10 seconds of the first round remaining.

Fans took to Twitter to hit out at how the fight had been allowed to take place.

One wrote: ‘Evander Holyfield is 58 years old. That was a disgrace. Truthfully.’

‘Whoever allowed Evander Holyfield to fight at 58 should be investigated and put in prison,’ another wrote. ‘An absolute disgrace.’ 

Holyfield beat the count but the Brazilian continued to let the punches fly, forcing the referee to step in

One supporter said: ‘Holyfield stopped in the first round. That’s one of the saddest events I have ever seen in a boxing ring!’ 

Yahoo Sports’ Kevin Iole wrote: ‘This was an absolute DISGRACE’ while bantamweight Adrian Yanez posted: ‘This hurts my soul… we shouldn’t have seen a 58 year old Holyfield in the ring.

‘Would definitely rather it have been Oscar lol.’

But Holyfield was adamant the fight was stopped too early by the referee.

‘The guy pushed me, the guy is strong,’ he said after the fight.

‘But I wasn’t hurt. There wasn’t no shot that hurt me real bad. He got me with a shot and I was off-balance. I’m not hurt. It’s kind of sad.

‘I think it was a bad call, he shouldn’t have stopped the fight that quick.’

Holyfield had been hoping a strong performance against Belfort would earn him a trilogy fight with Mike Tyson. But despite his defeat in Hollywood, the 58-year-old says he would still take on his former rival.

‘Of course I would,’ Holyfield said when asked if he was still open to the idea of facing Iron Mike.

Former president of the United States Donald Trump was on commentary duties on a strange night in Hollywood, while Belfort went on to call out YouTube star Jake Paul.

Former president of the United States Donald Trump was on commentary duties for the fight

Belfort went on to call out YouTube star Jake Paul and claimed he would teach him a lesson

‘We’ve got $25million; winner takes all! Let’s go Jake Paul, stop running from me. He earned my respect, but he’s still a Disney kid.

‘Let me teach you a lesson, you’re going to be my kid, I’ll be your daddy. I’m going to put you on my lap, you’re going to sleep like a baby.

‘You better start training, all of your fans are going to be Vitor Belfort fans. I’ve got family, you don’t have family… America needs me, not you!’




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article