Fury rules out fighting as contract row with Wilder rumbles on

Tyson Fury appears to RULE OUT homecoming fight against Agit Kabayel at the Royal Albert Hall next month, tweeting: ‘The Gypsy King is returning in 2021’

  • Tyson Fury has revealed that he will not fight again this year in a tweet
  • Deontay Wilder wants a trilogy fight against Fury after losing to him in February
  • Fury’s camp claim the immediate rematch clause Wilder activated has expired
  • A two-fight deal between Fury and Anthony Joshua could also happen in 2021

Tyson Fury has tweeted that he will not fight again in 2020 as a contract row with Deontay Wilder’s camp over a trilogy fight rumbles on. 

The unbeaten two-time heavyweight champion of the world, whose last fight saw him sensationally stop Wilder in the seventh round of their rematch in February this year, had been expected to fight Agit Kabayel in a homecoming clash at the Royal Albert Hall next month.  

However, that will now not happen.

Tyson Fury put in a dominant display to stop Deontay Wilder in the seventh round in February

In the tweet, Fury said: ‘The Gypsy King is returning in 2021. Only those that have supported me 100% since my comeback will be with me for the glory.’

The Bronze Bomber had activated an immediate rematch clause in his contract after his defeat in February, but Fury was far less keen. 

A potential fight pencilled in for July this year was scrapped due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the rematch clause Wilder activated has now expired, according to Fury’s camp, leading to the American enlisting the services of a retired judge to review his case.

Fury’s promoter Frank Warren said that a decision on whether a third fight will happen is due in the coming week.  

A two-fight deal between Fury and Anthony Joshua is also being discussed for 2021, with Joshua set to defend his WBA, IBF and WBO belts against Kubrat Pulev at the O2 Arena on December 12. 

However, the prospect of Britain’s two most prominent heavyweights going toe-to-toe could be scuppered if Wilder gets his trilogy wish. 

Wilder was distraught when the Fury rematch was stopped and is intent on turning the tables

Anthony Joshua is set to face Kubrat Pulev in December and could fight Fury twice next year

Joshua’s upcoming fight will be his first in just over a year after the 31-year-old avenged his shock defeat to Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia. 

Despite the Kabayel fight now being off the table, Warren says Fury is champing at the bit to get back in the ring, whoever the opponent is.

‘He’s been training very, very hard and he just wants to get back in the ring, so we’re trying hard to make that happen,’ said Warren. 




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article