Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez has confirmed he is set to fight Gennady Golovkin for a third time in September with a rematch against Dmitry Bivol likely to follow.
Canelo and Golovkin shared two wars in 2017 and 2018, the first ending in a hugely controversial draw before the Mexican secured a narrow win in the rematch.
A trilogy bout now looms large.
‘In the next few days we will announce the September fight,’ Canelo told ESPN Knockout.
‘Surely, it will be against GGG because we already had that agreement, but I will also fight Bivol again.’
Canelo agreed a lucrative two-fight deal with DAZN and Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom earlier this year to fight Bivol and Golovkin in 2022.
The 31-year-old suffered a shock defeat to the undefeated Russian however, who put in a punch perfect display to defend his WBA light-heavyweight title in Las Vegas.
Having unified the super-middleweight division last year, Canelo is expected to return to 168lbs for his showdown with Golovkin, who holds the IBF and WBA titles at middleweight.
That fight could leave room for Joshua Buatsi to challenge Bivol for the WBA title later this year.
The Croydon fighter secured a hard-fought victory over south London rival Craig Buatsi on Saturday night in an eliminator for that belt.
His promoter Hearn hopes to bring Bivol to the capital for that fight before the end of the year.
‘It’s an incredible fight,’ Hearn said. ‘He [Buatsi] is ready to challenge.
‘It was an incredible fight tonight but I don’t think there are any more steps. If Bivol is ready and available to go towards the end of the year I think that is the fight for Joshua Buatsi.’
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the latest news onFacebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Source: Read Full Article