Billy Joe Saunders’ eagerly anticipated super-middleweight unification fight against Canelo Alvarez will not take place this weekend, according to the British fighter’s dad.
Reports earlier on Tuesday claimed the bout was under threat owing to a disagreement over the size of the ring that is likely to be in use at the AT&T Stadium on Saturday night.
Saunders is demanding that a much larger ring be used in order to help him maximise his speed and increase his chances of remaining at arms’ length from one of the most destructive punchers in the business.
The fighters were due to square up to each other at an official head-to-head event but that has been scrapped with Saunders dad adamant the fight will not go ahead.
Tommy Sanders told iFL TV: ‘I can’t see them coming face to face because the issue with the ring has still not been sorted.
‘There is nothing in the contract about the ring size, it’s all about negotiations and negotiations have broken down big time.
‘Canelo has put an 18 foot ring, which I think is an amateur ring, as the fight ring. His plan was to pout an 18 foot ring there, knowing we were going to start [complaining] and he said right, 20 foot ring, that was his game plan.
‘We wanted a 24-foot ring but we’ve come down to a 22-foot inside ring. Basically they are trying to take BJ’s legs away. We’re up against everything here and at the end of the day I’m not going to let my son box in a 20-foot ring against the supposed pound-for-pound king of boxing.
‘We’re up against everything here and we’ve spoken to them this morning. They’ve said it’s either a 20-foot ring or book your flights home.
‘Unfortunately people, we apologise to all the fans, I can’t let my son box in a 20-foot ring against Canelo on Cinco de Mayo weekend.
‘We’ve given into a lot of stuff but this we can’t given in to. The fight will not be fair… the fight’s off.’
Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Source: Read Full Article