Australia Cricket star Slater charged over alleged domestic violence incident

Former Australian cricketer Michael Slater has been charged with stalking and harassment offences over an alleged domestic violence incident.

The 51-year-old was arrested at a home in Manly on Sydney’s northern beaches on Wednesday and reportedly taken to the local police station.

After being interviewed, Slater was charged with using a carriage service to menace, harass or offend while stalking.

Slater was granted conditional bail to appear at Waverley Local Court on November 11.

In a statement, police said officers in the Eastern Suburbs Police Area Command began an investigation on Tuesday after receiving reports of a domestic violence incident alleged to have occurred on October 12.

The former batsman was part of the Australian cricket team from the 1993 Ashes tour of England to 2001, playing 74 Tests.

He scored 5312 runs at an average of 42.83 at Test level, and Slater also played in 42 one-day internationals before retiring from major cricket in 2004.

He has since held several key positions on TV but was dropped last week by Australia's Channel Seven due to financial pressures.

He had previously worked as a commentator and personality for more than a decade on the rival Nine Network.

Slater had also accused Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison of having "blood on his hands" over his response to the pandemic back in May after the government issued a two-week ban on Australian citizens returning from India during the height of their coronavirus crisis.

The 51-year-old told Morrison to get on his private jet and 'come and witness dead bodies on the street' in a barrage of tweets.

"Amazing to smoke out the PM on a matter that is a human crisis," wrote Slater.

"The panic, the fear of every Australian in India is real!! How about you take your private jet and come and witness dead bodies on the street!"

Speaking after the incident, the former batsman claimed he did not mean to be disrespectful.

"If I had my time again, bearing in mind it could have had a link to what's just happened to me at Channel 7, no I wouldn't do it again," Slater told The Courier Mail earlier this month.

The father-of-three had been in India at the time as a commentator for local networks on the Indian Premier League season.

Source: Read Full Article